Chevron

Monday, March 30, 2015

2015-3-23 prayreadyourscriptureshavefamilyhomeeveningandgotothetemple!



The girl in the red is an RM in our ward!! She is the bomb.com!! Estefania y Flor!!

Okay okay okay...this week.
I don't know what happened...but it was not a week of success like the week before...que feo.
We didn't have a lot of success finding new people, no lessons with members (but...I attribute that to the fact that a guy in our ward died and all the members were helping with the funeral...pobrecito), we didn't contact a lot of people, etc etc. No bueno.

So Yesterday I gave a talk based on the talk from conference by Elder Scott. It was about making faith a priority*.  God has given us 4 great tools to help us live happier, successful, better lives. Pray, read scriptures, Family Home Evening, and going to the temple. I really loved the talk and I know that everything he said was true! So as I  sat down next to my compy, she reminded me that we didn't have any investigadores in sacrament meeting. I immediately felt a little bit sad and disappointed. We had 5 people promise that they were going to come to church!! We even had members that had promised to pick them up...and nobody was there. I was feeling very discouraged.  But as I was thinking about my sadness, I remembered what I had just talked about. I had just born my testimony to the members that if they did those 4 things, they would be happier and have more peace and joy etc.   I am doing those things...so why am I not happy (in this moment?!?!) Because happiness is a choice!!!!! Yes, it's a lot easier to be happy when everything goes well, but in the end, we have to make the choice.

It reminded me of a scripture in Alma 62. This is the second to last chapter in Alma, and like ya'll know, the book of Alma is known for the war chapters. So this part is talking about the end of the war and how the war changed the people...
62:41 “But behold, because of the exceedingly great length of the war between the Nephites and the Lamanites many had become hardened, because of the exceedingly great length of the war; and many were softened because of their afflictions, insomuch that they did humble themselves before God, even in the depth of humility.”
These people lived through the same ward. The result was that some were hardened and others were softened. The moral of the story?! We choose our attitudes! So...choose to be the person that is softened.
I'm not gonna lie, although I had this wonderful thought, I was not happy all day...but it's a work in progress :) Baby steps.

Other experiences of the week...
We went to visit an old investigator this week. She told us she had been really sad because no one had visited her in a long time. So we felt good that we had stopped by. She was much more interested in our message this time :)  We talked about prayer and invited her to pray every day. When we came back the next time, she told us that the day after she prayed, one of her sons that she hadn't seen in a very long time came to visit her. :D We were super happy for her experience.

At the funeral of this guy in our ward, I played the violin as some other missionaries sang “I Know That My Redeemer Lives”. There were TONS of people at his funeral. And so this week, as we were walking, there were lots of people that we didn't know coming up to us and telling us we did a good job. hahahaha and there are a lot of people that call me 'la cook''   hahaha sooo funny.

Had a special zone conference with President and his wife. Talked about a lot of things, but the pascua...Easter.   Read Exodus 12 :) And then watched the new video that the church made
''Because He Lives''!!! Very Beautiful!
http://www.mormon.org/easter


Well I think that about sums up my time.
Be good, be happy, prayreadyourscriptureshavefamilyhomeeveningandgotothetemple!!!!!ohandchoosetobehappy!!!

Love you all!!!!

Hermana Cook

*Quotes I LOVED from this talk :)
Protect your children from daily worldly influences by fortifying them with the powerful blessings that result from family prayer. Family prayer should be a nonnegotiable priority in your daily life.
-''Don’t yield to Satan’s lie that you don’t have time to study the scriptures. Choose to take time to study them. Feasting on the word of God each day is more important than sleep, school, work, television shows, video games, or social media. You may need to reorganize your priorities to provide time for the study of the word of God. If so, do it!''
-''Decide that on Monday night your family will be together at home for the evening. Do not let employment demands, sports, extracurricular activities, homework, or anything else become more important than that time you spend together at home with your family.''
-Sister Linda S. Reeves boldly declared: “I must testify of the blessings of daily scripture study and prayer and weekly family home evening. These are the very practices that help takeaway stress, give direction to our lives, and add protection to our homes
-
We all know there’s no more peaceful place on this earth than in the temples of God. If you don’t have a temple recommend, qualify to get one. When you have a recommend, use it often.  Schedule a regular time to be in the temple. Don’t let anyone or anything prevent you from being there.
-
These four tools are fundamental habits for securing your life in the power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ.  Remember our Savior is the Prince of Peace. Peace in this mortal life comes from His atoning sacrifice. When we are consistently praying morning and night, studying our scriptures daily, having weekly family home evening, and attending the temple regularly, we are actively responding to His invitation to “come unto Him.”
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2014/10/make-the-exercise-of-faith-your-first-priority?lang=eng

No comments:

Post a Comment